Learn about bridge design and discover how structural engineering is a creative discipline and art form.
In this engineering course you will learn how to analyze bridges from three perspectives:
- Efficiency = calculations of forces/stresses
- Economy = evaluation of societal context and cost
- Elegance = form/appearance based on engineering principles, not decoration
With a focus on some significant bridges built since the industrial revolution, the course illustrates how engineering is a creative discipline and can become art. We also show the influence of the economic and social context in bridge design and the interplay between forces and form.
You will learn:
- How to solve for the efficiency of structures using the appropriate formulas
- How to evaluate a structure within the measures of structural art
- How economic, social and culture influences structural design
- How to analyze bridge forms: suspension, beams, pre-stressed, arch, cable-stayed, tied-arch